Wildcats Topped at Missouri State, 2-0





5-7-3 (1-2-1 MVC)

Hall: 2 SOG
Sieperda: 1 SOG
Larkin: 3 SVs

Kozol: 1 G
Coonfield: 1 G
Stamp: 3 SVs

K-State 0 0 0
Missouri State

SPRINGFIELD, Missouri – A late first half goal sealed Kansas State’s fate, as the Wildcats dropped a 2-0 contest on the road at Missouri State on Monday at Allison South Stadium. K-State’s record against Missouri Valley opponents fell to 0-3-0 this season.

Kansas State is now 4-8-3 on the season, dropping its fifth consecutive road match. The Wildcats have been held scoreless in three consecutive games, elapsing a total of 358:57.

“It was a frustrating game. The quality of play, the way we played – I don’t know if it was completely there,” said K-State head coach Mike Dibbini. “I think it was difficult for us to get going with a rhythm. Them scoring a late goal in the first half was the story of our team all season, giving up late goals in the last five minutes. Those hurt and make us try to adjust and play a different style.”

An open, end-to-end first half saw chances on goal for both sides as the Wildcats ran head first into heavy wind gusts. Freshman midfielder Laramie Hall created the Wildcats’ best looks at goal, in the 28th minute and again in the 35th when Megan Kalkofen’s long ball soared over the heads of Missouri State’s backline. The ball met Hall’s sprinting run, but a lengthy first touch prevented her from flipping it over the Bears’ goalkeeper Evan Stamp.

Minutes later, Missouri State broke the deadlock. The Bears’ corner kick evaded K-State goalkeeper Miranda Larkin and all Wildcat defenders before Missouri State’s Karen Kozol glanced a header into the back of K-State’s net.

The Bears’ carried the 1-0 advantage into the half. Missouri State outshot the Wildcats 10-6 through the first 45 minutes, with Stamp and Larkin both making three saves apiece.

Both teams swapped keepers at the half with freshman Tania Chassot entering for K-State. With the wind at their backs, the Wildcats looked for the early equalizer. The ball hit the back of the Bears’ net just five minutes in, but was waved off when the referee recognized Tatum Wagner’s service crossed out, over the endline.

Missouri State made it a two goal game in the 55th minute when Ashley Coonfield collected a short goal kick, carried the ball on a sprint and found the upper-ninety of Chassot’s net from 22-yards out.

The Bears smacked the post midway through the second half, but were unable to add a third. The Wildcats threw numbers forward for the final 20 minutes, but only mustered up one shot on goal in the second half.

Missouri State posted a 19-10 edge in total shots and a 7-4 difference in shots on goal. K-State took more corners, 7-6, while each side was whistled for six fouls. Missouri State moved to 5-7-3 with the win.

The Wildcats will have a quick turnaround, playing again on the road Thursday, Oct. 20, at Missouri Valley foe Illinois State to round out the inaugural season. The finale against the Redbirds is set for a 7 p.m. CT kickoff and will be available on ESPN3 with an audio broadcast on 101.5 KROCK and for free at www.kstatesports.com.