Recruiting and Contact Rules
If you have any knowledge of possible rules violations, intentional or unintentional, please contact the Athletic Department Compliance Office. If you have any questions regarding a prospective or currently enrolled student-athlete, please contact:
Erick B. Harper
Assistant Athletic Director
1800 College Ave.
Manhattan, KS 66502-3355
(785) 532-6910 - firstname.lastname@example.org
NCAA bylaw 13.01.5
In Division I, representatives of athletics interest are prohibited from making in person, on-or-off campus recruiting contacts, written, telephonic communications or e-mail transactions with a prospect or the propect's relatives or legal guardians.
- A representative of a Division I institution is prohibited from making in-person recruiting contact with a prospect and his or her parents/guardian on or off campus.
- Limited Exception: You may have contact with a prospect regarding permissible pre-enrollment activities such as summer employment, provided the prospect has already signed a National Letter of Intent and K-State is aware that you are making these contacts in regard to employment.
- A Division I representative is prohibited from writing or telephoning a prospect and his or her parents or legal guardians.
- Limited Exception: You may have a phone conversation with a prospect only if the prospect initiates the call. Such a call may not be prearranged by a K-State staff member and you are not permitted to have a recruiting conversation, but may exhibit normal civility. You must refer any questions about the University's athletic program to the athletic department.
- A representative is prohibited from contacting a prospect's coach, principal or counselor in an attempt to evaluate the prospect.
- Limited Exception: NCAA rules do not preclude you from viewing a prospect's contest on your own initiative, but you may not contact the prospect, their parents, relatives or legal guardians or pick up game films or transcripts.
What can I do?
If you know of a high school or junior college student-athlete who might want to attend Kansas State, the only permissible activity for a representative is to call the appropriate K-State coach.