K-State Athletics, Inc. began a Strategic Plan visioning process during the 2009-2010 academic year. The following is an executive summary of the plan. Our overall vision of "a model intercollegiate athletics program" centers on five primary goals.
Vision: "A MODEL INTERCOLLEGIATE ATHLETICS PROGRAM"
|Goal One: "A WORLD-CLASS STUDENT-ATHLETE EXPERIENCE"|
Steps Identified to Achieve Goal One:
- We will achieve and measure the academic success of our student-athletes by exceeding the NCAA standard Academic Progress Rate of .925 and maintaining a student-athlete graduation rate that exceeds that of the general student body.
- We will properly promote and recognize the academic and athletic achievements of our student-athletes through opportunities such as the annual Powercat Choice Awards banquet, displaying awards and SAAC activities in our venues, and hosting graduation receptions.
- We will further enhance the student-athlete experience by actively engaging our student-athletes through surveys, frequent communication between SAAC and Senior Staff members and in-person exit interviews for graduating seniors.
- We will review and strengthen other key areas of service to our student-athletes such as our Life Skills program, dining experience and strength & conditioning facilities.
- We will continue to enhance our marketing and promotions plans for all sports.
- We will improve upon the post-graduate experience of our student-athletes by initiating an all-sport letter-winners/varsity club, coordinating departmentally produced team reunions for each sport every five years, enhancing career networking opportunities and re-vitalizing the Hall of Fame committee to identify proper ways to recognize and honor our former student-athletes.
- We will further enhance our administrative team to serve our student-athletes by actively recruiting minority candidates, training our staff on quality recruitment practices, continuing background checks on all personnel prior to employment and providing competitive compensation for staff and coaches.
- We will empower our administrative staff to more efficiently and effectively serve our student-athletes by developing an employee training checklist, implementing a systematic orientation for new employees, providing formal evaluations and clear job descriptions, and revising the policies and procedures manual.
- We will establish a culture of staff excellence by promoting individual and unit accomplishments, encouraging individual goals and development plans, developing a nationally reputable graduate assistant and internship program and providing growth opportunities through national professional organizations and in-house training programs.
- We will strive to retain and recruit excellence in staff and coaches by providing competitive compensation and benefits.
|Goal Two: "VALUE TO UNIVERSITY, COMMUNITY AND STATE"|
Steps Identified to Achieve Goal Two:
- We will always operate to the standards of the K-State Pledge which brings pride and credibility to the entire K-State family.
- We will quantify and communicate our value to the university, community and state by conducting and promoting the results of economic and media impact studies.
- We will develop a comprehensive athletics department media and public relations strategy that fits within the university’s media and public relations strategy.
- We will be actively engaged with the greater university family through representation, service and proactive cooperation with the Alumni Association, Colleges, Student Government, and K-State Foundation.
- We will provide multiple opportunities for campus, community and state leaders to be actively engaged with our programs and we will have university and community representation on the Kansas State Athletics Inc., Board of Directors, President’s Advisory Committee for Intercollegiate Athletics and Ahearn Advisory Group.
- We will encourage and promote participation by coaches and staff in philanthropic and community activities and further develop the priority partnership we have with the people of Fort Riley.
| Goal Three: "INTEGRITY AND TRANSPARENCY IN MATTERS OF
ETHICS, FINANCE, AND NCAA COMPLIANCE "
Strategic Objectives Identified to Achieve Goal Three:
- We will embrace gender equity by providing athletics participation opportunities in proportion to K-State enrollment rates and making every effort to comply with the recommendations of bi-annual Gender Equity reviews as provided by outside consultants.
- We will embrace diversity by actively recruiting and retaining quality minority candidates and emphasize minority recruitment for internship programs.
- We will demand professional responsibility through required practices such as background checks, ethics clauses, sexual harassment training, staff and complimentary ticketing policies and by developing a process for staff, coaches and student-athletes to safely report ethical concerns.
- We will ensure a process for a balanced budget and prudent financial decision-making through standard practices such as on-going expense growth management with needs based evaluative annual budgeting process, five-year forecasting, regular outside financial audits and consistently pursuing cost-savings opportunities with a goal of building an operating reserve of 5 percent or more.
- We will continue to strive for greater efficiencies and improvements through efforts such as the integration of our systems with the University, Foundation and Alumni Association, revising our business & HR policies and procedures, providing systematic education for our staff and requiring periodic staff and policy reviews.
- We will provide open and accountable communications with our constituent base through transparency in reporting our contractual and financial information and posting relevant documents on kstatesports.com.
- We will be proactive in our efforts associated with NCAA Compliance by successfully completing our NCAA Third-Cycle Certification and implementing a comprehensive and systematic NCAA education plan for student-athletes, coaches, staff, fans, prospects and agents.
- We will further enhance our NCAA Compliance efforts by evaluating and implementing new monitoring systems, formalizing our campus compliance team, strengthening enforcement procedures and revising our Compliance policies and procedures manual.
|Goal Four: "CHAMPIONSHIP-LEVEL ATHLETICS PERFORMANCES"|
Strategic Objectives Identified to Achieve Goal Four:
- We will enhance and maintain championship level athletics facilities by building a new basketball training facility, initiating a west side football stadium expansion, creating a long-term master facilities plan and developing a prioritized facilities projects improvement list which will include an enhanced dining hall experience for all student-athletes.
- We will generate the resources to fund championship level performances and provide competitive operating budgets in comparison to Big 12 peer institutions by:
- Re-launching the Ahearn Fund to maximize annual giving revenue through an accelerated giving calendar, adjusted donor levels, the creation of a leadership annual giving program (the National Leadership Circle) and developing the staff infrastructure necessary to systematically cultivate and solicit donors in-person at a high level.
- Dramatically increasing Ahearn Fund membership through a membership campaign drive utilizing Catbacker Clubs, a robust marketing and promotional strategy and targeting underrepresented audiences such as national alumni, staff and graduating students.
- Increasing ticket sales with a goal of achieving sellouts for every home football and men’s basketball game and increasing ticket sales for other ticketed sports by an average of 10 percent a year through a higher investment in mass-media marketing in key markets, enhanced group ticket sales efforts and a strong focus on developing new strategies to increase student participation.
- Improving our customer service opportunities within our ticket office infrastructure, enhanced online ticketing, more advanced use of customer data and demographics information and providing satellite ticket buying locations in key areas.
- Maximizing other revenue streams through enhanced service provider contacts for concessions, licensing, merchandising and Official Athletic Site management and by engaging the SGA committee to continue the student privilege fee.
- Establishing an ongoing capital gifts fundraising program including the staff infrastructure and prospect management system to effectively cultivate and solicit leadership gifts with a goal of securing the funding for a new basketball training facility and successfully completing the largest Capital Campaign in the history of K-State Athletics within a greater university-wide campaign.
- We will recruit outstanding student-athletes by providing appropriate recruiting budgets to identify and maintain relationships with top recruits, facilitating a systematic exchange of recruiting best practices within and between coaching staffs, and empowering all department employees to foster a welcoming environment for recruits and families.
- We will recruit outstanding coaches and staff by maintaining strong national connectivity and developing a diverse recruitment plan.
- We will further develop our coaches and staff through personalized career development plans, attendance at coaching conventions, providing in-house professional development opportunities and facilitating regular meetings to exchange best practices.
- We will retain our outstanding coaches by providing them services and resources that allow them to focus on coaching.
- We will develop a consistent scheduling philosophy and process between coaches and sports administrators.
|Goal Five: "BEST FAN EXPERIENCE IN THE BIG 12"|
Strategic Objectives Identified to Achieve Goal Five:
- We will provide outstanding customer service and interaction through a comprehensive strategy which will include avenues for fan feedback and measurement tools, an "e-outreach" plan to effectively utilize various electronic and social media platforms and through proactive customer service training for department and event personnel.
- We will enhance our gameday event atmosphere by polling and listening to our fans and addressing their concerns, maximizing the participation of our students and coordinating the promotion of our history, accomplishments and people.
- We will strengthen our image and brand through a comprehensive branding campaign with the assistance of our new licensing partner that includes the promotion of our accomplishments.
- We will enhance our accessibility by providing ticketing options that cater to a broader fan base and reach a greater number of students, maintaining affordable ticket and concessions options, developing a comprehensive year-round ticketing calendar, improving our on-line ticketing experience, providing a better ticket office location and by launching free internet access for game broadcasts.
- We will improve on our facilities and amenities for fans as part of our facilities master plan through projects such as constructing restrooms to Bill Snyder Family Stadium east side upper deck, enhancing the seating and atmosphere for volleyball and providing an enhanced concessions experience through our new concessionaire.
- We will provide a safe environment for our student-athletes and fans through a comprehensive emergency crisis management and communications plan that will include requiring CPR training for all staff, offering a free fan text reporting service and a team travel emergency and communications policy.