March 21, 2014
ResultsFORT WORTH, Texas – K-State Track and Field opened the outdoor season with a strong performance at the TCU Invitational in Fort Worth, Texas. Competing at the Horned Frogs’ Lowdon Track Complex, the Wildcats had a total of seven top-three finishes, including three first-place efforts.
On the track…
• Sonia Gaskin picked up right where she left off this indoor season with a victory in the 800 meter run. The sophomore Wildcat won the event in a time of 2:09.47, over a second better than second-place finisher Tamerah Gorham. It’s Gaskin’s first career win in the event outdoors and she now has four total wins this season in the event.
Also finishing in the top-10 of a field of 25 was a trio of freshmen in Marija Stambolic (third), Marie Taylor (eighth) and Mary Frances Donnelly (ninth).
For the men, the Wildcats got solid performances from Kyle Hanson, Logan Smith and Kain Ellis, as they finished third, fifth and sixth, respectively, in a field of 30.
• The men’s 4x400 ‘A’ team of Christopher Campbell, Carlos Rodriguez, Ifeanyichukwu Otuonye and Tyris Jefferson opened the outdoor season with the foursome’s third win overall in the event this season. The group’s time of 3:10.55 bested both the Baylor and TCU relay squads, marking a strong start for a group that finished last outdoor season third at the Big 12 Championships.
• The Wildcat women had five athletes finish in the top-10 of the 1500 meter run. Competing against a field of 27, Martina Tresch led K-State with a second-place finish in a time of 4:40.41. Rounding out the top ten were Heather Ruder (sixth), Donnelly (eighth), Morgan Wedekind (ninth) and Erika Schiller (10th). For Ruder and Schiller, it’s the pair’s first action this season for track and field after competing for the cross country squad in the fall.
• Rounding out the notable performances on track for the Wildcats were Tresch and Schiller in the 3000 meter run. Tresch finished third in a time of 9:58.94, as she was one of only three runners to finish the race in less than ten minutes. Also finishing in the top-10 of a field of 25 was Schiller, who placed sixth in 10:14.35.
In the field…
• Alyssa Kelly placed first in the women’s triple jump with a mark of 12.20m/40-00.50 (3.7). It was her second first-place finish this season, as well as her second career win in the event outdoors.
• Alex Roe set a personal best in the men’s hammer throw in the meet’s first day of competition on Thursday. Roe placed third with a mark of 58.95m/193-05.00, shattering his previous career-best mark of 55.50m/182-01.00. With the new PR, Roe moved from 10th to fourth all-time in school history in the event.
• Also registering personal bests were Tommy Brady in the pole vault and Reinis Kregers in the discus throw. For Brady, his mark of 4.98m/16-04.00 was good enough for fourth-place, as he bested his previous outdoor best of 4.85m/15-11.00 in the event. In the discus, Kregers finished eighth with a throw of 47.44m/155-07.00. The new personal best for the sophomore was over a meter better than his previous career-high of 46.39m/152-02.00.
With one outdoor meet in the books, the Wildcats remain on the road, as one group is set to compete at the annual Texas Relays in Austin, Texas, next week with another traveling to Emporia, Kan., for the Emporia State Open. For more information on today’s action, as well as the upcoming road meets, visit www.k-statesports.com.
Lowdon Track Complex
Fort Worth, Texas
23: Magnus Scott, Jr., K-State, 10.76
19: Alyssa Kelly, K-State, 12.17
7: Angela Hart, K-State, 14.18
15: Sarah Kolmer, K-State, 14.99
18: Joslyn Barnes, K-State, 15.22
3: Kyle Hanson, K-State, 1:55.22
5: Logan Smith, K-State, 1:55.56
6: Kain Ellis, K-State, 1:55.93
13: Kevin Jantsch, K-State, 1:58.02
15: Blake Goodin, K-State, 1:58.64
19: Ryan Hershner, K-State, 1:59.54
1: Sonia Gaskin, K-State, 2:09.47
3: Marija Stambolic, K-State, 2:14.23
8: Marie Taylor, K-State, 2:17.51
9: Mary Frances Donnelly, K-State, 2:17.98
17: Heather Ruder, K-State, 2:25.14
6: Blake Goodin, K-State, 4:07.49
20: Fernando Roman, K-State, 4:17.13
2: Martina Tresch, K-State, 4:40.41
6: Heather Ruder, K-State, 4:44.93
8: Mary Frances Donnelly, K-State. 4:45.13
9: Morgan Wedekind, K-State, 4:45.46
10: Erika Schiller, K-State, 4:46.18
12: Fernando Roman, K-State, 9:21.86
3: Martina Tresch, K-State, 9:58.94
6: Erika Schiller, K-State, 10:14.35
12: Morgan Wedekind, K-State, 10:42.78
--: Steen-Field-Bowry-Harrison, K-State, DNF
1: Campbell-Rodriguez-Otuonye-Jefferson, K-State, 3:10.55
6: Smith-Hanson-Jantsch-Hershner, K-State, 3:21.87
7: Steen-Deterding-Kregers-Harrison, K-State, 3:26.78
4: Gaskin-Matthews-Hart-Kolmer, K-State, 3:44.34
4: Tommy Brady, K-State, 4.98m/16-04.00 – Personal best
1: Alyssa Kelly, K-State, 12.20m/40-00.50 (3.7)
6: Adam Deterding, K-State, 11.97m/39-03.25
8: Reinis Kregers, K-State, 47.44m/155-07.00 – Personal best
3: Alex Roe, K-State, 58.95m/193-05.00 – Personal best & 4th-best in school history
9: Kyle Smith, K-State, 49.92m/163-09.00