March 14, 2013
Final Stats |
Photo Gallery 1 |
Photo Gallery 2
No. 11/12 K-State (26-6) 66, Texas (16-17) 49
Sprint Center – Kansas City, Mo.
• Kansas State is now 10-16 (.625) all-time at the Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship… The Wildcats are 30-34 in the conference championship tournament dating back to the Big Eight Conference in 1977… K-State is now 9-6 in the Sprint Center, including a win over No. 8 Florida in December… K-State is 3-4 during Big 12 Championship games played at the Sprint Center.
• Tonight’s victory on Senior Night is the 100th in the career of Rodney McGruder, Jordan Henriquez and Martavious Irving as they are now the winningest class in K-State history and are the fourth straight senior class to tally 90 wins in their career.
• The Wildcats are now 11-0 on the year against teams from the state of Texas (Baylor, Lamar, TCU, Texas, Texas Southern, Texas Tech)… All-time against Texas, the Wildcats are 16-10 and 1-1 at the Big 12 Championship… K-State has now won 6 of the last 7 against the Texas Longhorns.
• The starting lineup for tonight’s contest consisted sophomore guard Angel Rodriguez, junior guard Will Spradling, senior guard Rodney McGruder, senior forward Jordan Henriquez and junior forward Shane Southwell… The Wildcats are now 9-1 when using this lineup.
• Myck Kabongo of Texas scored 24 points in the last meeting between UT and K-State… On Thursday he was held scoreless until the final minute of the game when he went to the free-throw line with 41 seconds remaining… He was 0-of-5 shooting and only took one shot in the first half… K-State also forced Kabongo into 5 turnovers.
• K-State is undefeated this season (20-0) when out-rebounding its opponent… The Wildcats pulled down 36 rebounds tonight to 35 from Texas… The Wildcats trailed this category at halftime 17-19.
• The Wildcats forced Texas into 15 turnovers resulting in 24 points… It was the 11th time this season K-State has scored 20+ points off turnovers.
• K-State had only 7 turnovers to allow Teas to score 10 points.
• Rodney McGruder had one of the best games in conference tournament history for the Wildcats with 24 points on 10-of-20 shooting… His 10 field goals tie for the most in a Big 12 Championship game… McGruder’s 24 points give him 128 for his career against Texas for a career average of 18.3.
• Angel Rodriguez scored 13 points and had 5 assists to just 1 turnover… 4 of his assists came in the second half… He averaged 13.3 points against Texas this season and 6.3 assists and only 1.7 turnovers.
• D.J. Johnson had the best game of his freshman year with career-high 8 points and 8 rebounds… He was 1 rebound shy of his career-high… He was a perfect 4-of-4 shooting.
• Shane Southwell scored only 2 points but was key on defense with 3 defensive rebounds and 3 blocks… His blocks tied his career high and one came against Myck Kabongo under the basket after a turnover… He contributed 2 assists and 3 steals.
• Martavious Irving scored 6 points on 2-of-5 shooting and had a season-high 5 rebounds, all on the defensive end.