Dec. 31, 2013
Final Stats |
Kansas State Postgame Notes
Kansas State (10-3) 72 – George Washington (11-2) 55
Tuesday, December 31, 2013
Manhattan, Kan. | Bramlage Coliseum
• K-State is now 1,539-1,080 all-time in its history.
• Today’s win with the 350th for Bruce Weber in his 15th year as a head coach… He is now 350-166 all-time in his career and 37-11 in his second season at K-State.
• Today’s match-up marked the fourth meeting between the two schools and third in the last three seasons… With the win today, the Wildcats move to 3-1 all time against the Colonials.
• K-State moved to 14-11 vs. current members of the Atlantic 10, including an 8-3 mark at home.
• Bruce Weber is 2-0 all-time vs. George Washington, including 2-0 at home.
• With today’s win, K-State now owns an 8-game winning streak… This streak ties for the longest winning streak under Bruce Weber… The previous 8-game win streak came last season from Dec. 18, 2012 to Jan. 9, 2013.
• With today’s win, the Wildcats went 7-0 in the month of December… It marked the fifth time in school history that the team has gone unbeaten in December and the first time since 2009… The other times were 1947-48, 1993-94 and 1998-99.
• With today’s win, K-State has now won 35 consecutive home games in December dating back to 2004… The Wildcats are 47-8 in the month of December since the 2006-07, including 13-1 under Bruce Weber.
• With today’s win, K-State captured its 10th win in non-conference play, which marks the eighth consecutive season the squad has won at least 10 games in non-conference play, posting an 81-18 record since the 2006-07 season.
• With today’s win, K-State has now posted a 65-3 record at home in non-conference play dating back to 2006-07, including a 63-2 mark during the regular season… The squad has won 54 of its last 55 non-conference home games… The losses came to DePaul (2007), Oregon (2007) and Northern Colorado (2013).
• The Wildcats’ starting lineup consisted of freshman guard Marcus Foster, senior guard Will Spradling, senior guard Shane Southwell, freshman forward Wesley Iwundu and junior forward Thomas Gipson… This is the eighth time K-State has used this starting lineup this season with the Wildcats winning all eight match-ups.
• Foster and Spradling have started all 13 games, while Iwundu and Southwell have now started 12 in a row… Foster and Iwundu have started together each of the last 12 games.
• K-State has now held 11 of 13 opponents below 65 points this season, going 10-1 in those games…The 55 points scored by George Washington were a season-low.
• K-State out-rebounded George Washington, 37-33, marking the ninth consecutive game the Wildcats have out-rebounded their opponent…The team is now 29-2 under head coach Bruce Weber when out-rebounding their opponent, including a mark of 9-1 this season.
• K-State connected on 48.0 percent (28-of-58) from the field, the second highest percentage of the season, including 33.3 percent (6-of-18) from 3-point range.
• The offense was again efficient with 20 assists on 28 made field goals… It marked the second time this season that the Wildcats posted at least 20 assists in a game.
• K-State forced George Washington into 14 turnovers, scoring 10 points off those miscues… The team has now scored double-digit points off of turnovers in 11 games, including eight in a row.
• K-State held a 15-9 advantage in fast-break and bench points.
• K-State led at the half, 43-30 and improves to 33-2 under Weber when leading at the half.
• Shane Southwell had a team-leading and career-high 21 points on 9-of-17 field goals, including 3-of-6 from 3-point range… It marked his first career 20-point game… He now has scored in double figures in seven of the last 11 games, including five times in the last seven… He also added five assists, three blocks, three steals and four rebounds in 31 minutes of action
• Marcus Foster scored in double figures with 15 points in one of his best game shooting for the season, going 6-of-10 from the floor… He has now scored in double figures in 11 of the last 12 games… He also had two assists and three rebounds.
• Thomas Gipson provided the efficiency down-low with 12 points on 5-of-6 shooting… He also managed to pull down a team-high eight rebounds… He has scored in double figures in 29 career games, including seven times this season.
• Jevon Thomas provided a spark off of the bench for the Wildcats in his first career home game, with a team-leading six assists in a season-high 23 minutes of action.
• Nino Williams added energy from the bench with nine points and three rebounds in eight minutes of play.