Jan. 24, 2014
ATHENS, Ga. – No. 55 Kansas State pieced together a strong come back in its season-opening match, but the Wildcats fell short of No. 51 Arkansas, 4-2, on Friday at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Kickoff Weekend. This was just the second time in the last 10 seasons that K-State has dropped its season-opening match.
K-State (0-1) fell behind by a score of 2-0, as Arkansas (3-0) secured the doubles point and a win at number two singles. The Wildcats closed the gap to 2-1, with senior Petra Niedermayerova, recording a win at number one singles. Niedermayerova, ranked No. 42 in the national ITA singles rankings, held off No. 71 Yang Pang in a tiebreaker, 6-1, 2-6, 1-0. In her final season, Niedermayerova has tallied a 10-4 record, including a 3-1 mark against ranked opponents. She has won four of her last five matches dating back to the final fall tournament in November.
Niedermayerova, the first two-time ITA All-American in school history, improved her school record for career singles wins 90-37 (.709). Her career singles winning percentage of .709 ranks second in program history.
The Razorbacks secured a 3-1 lead with a win at number three singles, but freshman Iva Bago brought the Wildcats back to within one at 3-2. Bago, a product of Velika, Croatia, came back to defeat Kimberley-Ann Surin at number four singles, 6-7, 7-6, 1-0. Bago is 6-6 in her debut season with the Wildcats.
Arkansas clinched the win with a straight set victory at number six singles.
All of the ITA Kickoff Weekend matches across the country used experimental formats. All of the women’s matches this weekend for both singles and doubles will be played to six games, with regular scoring and tiebreakers at 6-all. If a singles match splits sets, a match tiebreaker will be played instead of a third set. In the match between K-State and Arkansas, four of the five completed singles matches were extended to a tiebreaker.
K-State will conclude its two-match trip to Georgia on Saturday afternoon at 4 p.m. The Wildcats will face the loser of No. 75 Elon at No. 4 Georgia.
(55) Kansas State (0-1) vs. (51) Arkansas (3-0)
January 24, 2014
ITA Kickoff Weekend
Athens, Ga. | Magill Tennis Complex
(51) Arkansas 4, (55) Kansas State 2
1. Petra Niedermayerova/Palma Juhasz (K-State) vs. Brittany Huxley/Kimberley-Ann Surin (Ark), (DNF)
2. Yang Pang/Oleksandra Shkorupeieva (Ark) def. Maria Panaite/Iva Bago (K-State), 6-2
3. Shannon Hudson/Sarah McLean (Ark) def. Amina St. Hill/Livia Cirnu (K-State), 6-2
Order of Finish: 3, 2
1. (42) Petra Niedermayerova (K-State) def. (71) Yang Pang (Ark), 6-1, 2-6, 1-0
2. (115) Shannon Hudson (Ark) def. Maria Panaite (K-State), 4-6, 6-1, 1-0
3. Sarah McLean (Ark) def. Palma Juhasz (K-State), 0-6, 7-6, 1-0
4. Iva Bago (K-State) def. Kimberley-Ann Surin (Ark), 6-7, 7-6, 1-0
5. Amina St. Hill (K-State) vs. Brittany Huxley (Ark), 6-1, 4-5 DNF
6. Oleksandra Shkorupeieva (Ark) def. Livia Cirnu (K-State), 6-3, 7-5
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3, 4, 6*
*- match decided