Jan. 27, 2013
BOSTON, Mass. – No. 64 K-State women’s tennis closed out a successful weekend in the northeast on Sunday afternoon with a 5-2 win over No. 73 Harvard at the Murr Center. This the first 2-0 start for the Wildcats since the 2011 season and the fourth 2-0 start in the last six seasons.
The Wildcats opened action by winning the doubles point. K-State tallied its first doubles win of the afternoon with an 8-1 victory from the No. 2 pairing of Ivana Kubickova and Carmen Borau Ramos over Sylvia Li and Amanda Lin. The duo of Kubickova and Borau Ramos are now 2-2 this season.
K-State’s top pairing of No. 34 Karla Bonacic and Petra Niedermayerova sealed the doubles point with an 8-4 win over Kristin Norton and Amy He. Bonacic and Niedermayerova are 9-5 when paired together this season and 22-21 in their careers.
At the top of the K-State singles lineup, No. 15 ranked Niedermayerova fought to a 6-1, 4-6, 6-3, win over Norton. With her win on Sunday, Niedermayerova climbs into a tie for fifth on the career singles wins list with a career mark of 64-28. She needs three wins to tie for fourth and 15 wins to move into a tie for first. The junior from Brno, Czech Republic owns a team-leading record of 16-5 this season and is 3-1 in three-set matches.
Senior Ana Gomez Aleman registered her second straight win with a 6-2, 6-0 decision over Natalie Blosser at No. 5 singles. Gomez Aleman, a native of Murcia, Spain, is 6-8 on the season and improved her career record to 39-59, including a 26-44 record in straight set matches.
Kubickova also registered her second win of the weekend with a 6-0, 6-4 win over Li at No. 3 singles. Kubickova, a freshman from Brno, Czech Republic, is 14-6 in her debut season with the Wildcats, including an 11-4 mark in straight set matches.
Closing out the singles wins for the Wildcats on Sunday was Amina St. Hill. The sophomore from Gothenburg, Sweden, tallied a 6-2, 6-4 win over Crystal Yen at No. 6 singles. St. Hill has won three of her last five matches and is now 4-0 in her career at No. 6 in the lineup.
The Wildcats will return to Manhattan to host its first home match of the spring on Saturday, Feb. 9 at 11 a.m., against Tulsa. The match will be played at the Body First Tennis and Fitness Center.
(64) Kansas State (2-0) at (73) Harvard (1-2)
January 27, 2013
Boston, Mass. | Murr Center
(64) Kansas State 5, (73) Harvard 2
1. (34) Petra Niedermayerova/Karla Bonacic (K-State) def. Kristin Norton/Amy He (HU), 8-4
2. Ivana Kubickova/Carmen Borau Ramos (K-State) def. Sylvia Li/Amanda Lin (HU), 8-1
3. Ana Gomez Aleman/Amina St. Hill (K-State) vs. Hannah Morrill/Hideko Tachibana (HU), 5-7 DNF
1. (15) Petra Niedermayerova (K-State) def. Kristin Norton (HU), 6-1, 4-6, 6-3
2. Amy He (HU) def. Karla Bonacic (K-State), 6-4, 1-6, 7-6 (5)
3. Ivana Kubickova (K-State) def. Sylvia Li (HU), 6-0, 6-4
4. Amanda Lin (HU) def. Carmen Borau Ramos (K-State), 6-2, 6-0
5. Ana Gomez Aleman (K-State) def. Natalie Blosser (HU), 6-2, 6-0
6. Amina St. Hill (K-State) def. Crystal Yen (HU), 6-2, 6-4