Feb. 15, 2013
MEMPHIS, Tenn. – No. 42 Kansas State women’s tennis rallied from a 3-0 deficit on Friday night to No. 51 Memphis, but the Lady Tigers held off the charge to send the Wildcats to their first loss of the spring, 4-2, at the Racquet Club of Memphis.
K-State (3-1) dropped the doubles point for the second time this season. Memphis registered wins at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles to clinch the point.
Memphis (4-2) continued to improve on its lead, using wins at No. 4 and No. 3 singles to hold a 3-0 advantage in the match. K-State continued to fight, as No. 17 ranked Petra Niedermayerova rallied from a 5-2 deficit in the third set to win 2-6, 6-1, 7-5, over No. 61 Courtney Collins at No. 1 singles. The win by Niedermayerova avenged a three-set loss to Collins at the Georgia Invitational on Jan. 20. Niedermayerova has now played five straight 3-set matches and owns a 4-1 record in this matches, including a current four-match winning streak. For her career, Niedermayerova is 13-12 in three-set matches and is 19-16 in her career against ITA ranked opponents.
With her win on Friday, Niedermayerova is one win shy of moving into fourth on the K-State career singles wins list with a career mark of 66-28. She 13 wins to move into a tie for first. The junior from Brno, Czech Republic owns a team-leading record of 18-5 this season.
At No. 2 singles, senior Karla Bonacic also needed three sets, but she was able to draw the Wildcats to within one, 3-2. The senior from Split, Croatia, defeated Skylar Kuykendall, 4-6, 6-1, 7-6, for her third win this spring. Bonacic is 19-7 in her career in three-set matches, including a 3-2 mark this season.
Bonacic is 62-37 in her career and needs just one win to tie for seventh on the K-State career singles wins list. Dating back to the final three matches of the spring of 2010, Bonacic has now won 38 of her last 46 dual matches.
Memphis ended the Wildcats’ surge with a win at No. 5 singles. K-State is now 2-2 this season at the No. 5 position in the lineup.
K-State will close out its weekend in Memphis against No. 70 Columbia on Saturday at 2 p.m.
(42) Kansas State (3-1) at (51) Memphis (4-2)
February 15, 2013
Memphis, Tenn. | Racquet Club of Memphis
(51) Memphis 4, (42) Kansas State 2
1. (26) Petra Niedermayerova/Karla Bonacic (K-State) vs. (35) Courtney Collins/Kelly Gray (Memphis), DNF
2. Alyssa Hibberd/Tiffany Welcher (Memphis) def. Ivana Kubickova/Carmen Borau Ramos (K-State), 8-1
3. (47) Stefanie Mikesz/Caroline Wegner (Memphis) def. Ana Gomez Aleman/Amina St. Hill (K-State), 8-4
Order of Finish: 2, 3
1. (17) Petra Niedermayerova (K-State) def. (61) Courtney Collins (Memphis), 2-6, 6-1, 7-5
2. Karla Bonacic (K-State) def. Skylar Kukendall (Memphis), 4-6, 6-1, 7-6
3. Liza Tymchenko (Memphis) def. Ivana Kubickova (K-State), 3-6, 6-2, 6-0
4. Tiffany Welcher (Memphis) def. Ana Gomez Aleman (K-State), 6-1, 6-2
5. Stefanie Mikesz (Memphis) def. Carmen Borau Ramos (K-State), 7-5, 6-2
6. Amina St. Hill (K-State) vs. Caroline Wegner (Memphis), 6-7, 3-1 DNF
Order of Finish: 4, 3, 1, 2, 5*
*- matched decided