Feb. 16, 2013
MEMPHIS, Tenn. – No. 42 Kansas State women’s tennis dropped its second match of the spring on Saturday, as No. 70 Columbia held off the Wildcats, 4-2, at the Racquet Club of Memphis.
K-State (3-2) dropped the doubles point for the second straight day and for the third time this season. Columbia registered wins at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles to clinch the point.
In singles, No. 17 ranked Petra Niedermayerova captured her fifth straight win with another three-set decision, 6-1, 5-7, 6-4, over Bianca Sanon at No. 1 singles. Niedermayerova has now played six straight 3-set matches and owns a 5-1 record in three-set matches. For her career, Niedermayerova is 14-12 in three-set matches.
With her win on Saturday, Niedermayerova is tied for fourth on the K-State career singles wins list with a career mark of 67-28. She needs 12 wins to move into a tie for first. The junior from Brno, Czech Republic owns a team-leading record of 19-5 this season.
At No. 2 singles, senior Karla Bonacic tallied a 6-3, 6-3 win over No. 37 ranked Nicole Bartnik. The senior from Split, Croatia, is 63-37 in her career and is tied for seventh on the K-State career singles wins list. Dating back to the final three matches of the spring of 2010, Bonacic has now won 39 of her last 47 dual matches.
Columbia tallied singles wins at No. 3, 4 and 5 to register the upset.
K-State will return to the Sunflower State for its next two matches, as the Wildcats will travel to Wichita, Kan., to face Wichita State on Feb. 23 and No. 24 Purdue on Feb. 24.
(42) Kansas State (3-2) vs. (70) Columbia (2-2)
February 16, 2013
Memphis, Tenn. | Racquet Club of Memphis
(70) Columbia 4, (42) Kansas State 2
1. Bianca Sanon/Kanika Vaidya (Columbia) def. (26) Petra Niedermayerova/Karla Bonacic (K-State), 8-3
2. Nicole Bartnik/Crystal Leung (Columbia) def/ Ana Gomez Aleman/Carmen Borau Ramos (K-State), 8-4
3. Ivana Kubickova/Amina St. Hill (K-State) vs. Lauren Stratman/Tiana Takenaga (Columbia), DNF
1. (17) Petra Niedermayerova (K-State) def. Bianca Sanon (Columbia), 6-1, 5-7, 6-4
2. Karla Bonacic (K-State) def. (37) Nicole Bartnik (Columbia), 6-3, 6-3
3. (109) Kanika Vaidya (Columbia) def. Ivana Kubickova (K-State), 6-3, 6-2
4. Crystal Leung (Columbia) def. Carmen Borau Ramos (K-State), 7-5, 6-1
5. Katarina Kovacevic (Columbia) def. Ana Gomez Aleman (K-State), 6-2, 6-1
6. Amina St. Hill (K-State) vs. Ioana Alecsiu (Columbia), DNF