Feb. 23, 2014
TULSA, Okla. – After winning five-straight matches, No. 52 Kansas State women’s tennis was sent to its second straight loss on Sunday. The Wildcats dropped a 4-1 decision at No. 23 Tulsa at the Case Tennis Center.
The Wildcats (5-3) received a win in doubles action from its number two tandem of freshmen Palma Juhasz and Iva Bago. The duo secured an 8-3 win over Maria Sant’Anna and Dobby Leenabanchong. The tandem of Bago and Juhasz improved to 4-2 together this season and are 3-1 in the number two position in the lineup.
In singles, Juhasz tied the match at one with a win at number four singles. The freshman from Debrecen, Hungary captured K-State’s only singles win with 6-2, 6-4 victory over Sant’Anna. Juhasz has won four of her last five singles matches and is 10-7 in her debut season in Manhattan.
Tulsa won its eighth straight match by adding wins at number three, six and two singles to its doubles point.
K-State will return to the road next weekend for another set of challenging matches. The Wildcats travel to New York, N.Y., to face No. 35 Columbia on Friday, Feb. 28 at 9 a.m., and No. 32 Memphis on Saturday, March 1 at 9 a.m.
(52) Kansas State (5-3, 0-0 Big 12) at (23) Tulsa (9-1, 1-0 C-USA)
February 23, 2014 | Tulsa, Okla. | Case Tennis Center
(23) Tulsa 4, (52) Kansas State 1
1. Samantha Vickers/Isaura Enrique (Tulsa) def. (59) Petra Niedermayerova/Amina St. Hill (K-State), 8-7 (7-3)
2. Palma Juhasz/Iva Bago (K-State) def. Maria Sant’Anna/Dobby Leenabanchong (Tulsa), 8-3
3. Renata Kuricova/Marcelina Cichon (Tulsa) def. Livia Cirnu/Maria Panaite (K-State), 8-4
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
1. (55) Petra Niedermayerova (K-State) vs. (69) Samantha Vickers (Tulsa), 6-2, 2-4 DNF
2. Isaura Enrique (Tulsa) def. Maria Panaite (K-State), 6-1, 6-1
3. (94) Yelena Nemchen (Tulsa) def. Iva Bago (K-State), 6-1, 6-1
4. Palma Juhasz (K-State) def. Maria Sant’Anna (Tulsa), 6-2, 6-4
5. Renata Kuricova (Tulsa) vs. Livia Cirnu (K-State), 6-3, 4-4 DNF
6. Marcelina Cichon (Tulsa) def. Amina St. Hill (K-State), 6-2, 6-1
Order of Finish: 4, 3, 6, 2*
*- match decided