Feb. 24, 2013
WICHITA, Kan. – No. 45 Kansas State women’s tennis looked for its fourth win over a ranked opponent this spring, but No. 20 Purdue downed the Wildcats on Sunday, 4-2, at the Wichita Country Club. K-State is now 4-3 this season, while Purdue improves to 4-1.
K-State dropped the doubles point for the fourth straight match and for the fifth time this season. The Boilermakers swept the three doubles matches to secure the point.
In singles, ITA No. 17 ranked Petra Niedermayerova captured her seventh straight win with a 6-4, 6-3 straight set win over No. 105 Lynda Xepoleas at No. 1 singles. Niedermayerova has now won three straight matches against ranked singles opponents and improved her career record to 20-16 against ITA ranked singles foes.
With her win on Sunday, Niedermayerova remains fourth on the K-State career singles wins list with a career mark of 69-28. She needs eight singles win to move into a three-way tie for second with Petra Sedlmajerova (1999-03; 77-47) and Jessica Simosa (2001-06; 77-61). She needs 10 wins to move into a tie for first with Maria Rosenberg (2000-05; 79-54). The junior from Brno, Czech Republic owns a team-leading record of 21-5 this season and needs four singles wins to set a new career-high for singles wins in a season. She has now tallied three straight seasons of 20 or more singles wins.
K-State’s second singles’ win on Sunday came from freshman Ivana Kubickova. For the first time since Jan. 26-27, Kubickova recorded consecutive singles wins with a 3-6, 6-4, 6-2 win over Daniela Vidal at No. 3 singles. Kubickova improved to 16-9 in her first season with the Wildcats and is 4-3 this spring.
Purdue registered the win on Sunday with singles wins at No. 2, No. 4 and No. 5 singles. K-State is now 0-6 from the No. 4 position in the singles lineup.
Kansas State returns to action on Saturday, March 2, as the Wildcats will travel to Lincoln, Neb., to face No. 15 Nebraska at 1 p.m.
(45) Kansas State (4-3) vs. (20) Purdue (4-1)
February 24, 2013
Wichita, Kan. | Wichita Country Club
(20) Purdue 4, (45) Kansas State 2
1. Krisztina Kapitany/Schmidt (Purdue) def. (26) Petra Niedermayerova/Karla Bonacic (K-State), 8-6
2. Lynda Xepoleas/Daniela Vidal (Purdue) def. Ivana Kubickova/Carmen Borau Ramos (K-State), 8-4
3. Imogen Golder/Gisella Pere (Purdue) def. Amina St. Hill/Gema Bolado-Yusta (K-State), 8-2
1. (17) Petra Niedermayerova (K-State) def. (105) Lynda Xepoleas (Purdue), 6-4, 6-3
2. Mara Schmidt (Purdue) def. Karla Bonacic (K-State), 7-5, 6-4
3. Ivana Kubickova (K-State) def. Daniela Vidal (Purdue), 3-6, 6-4, 6-2
4. Tess Bernard-Feigenbaum (Purdue) def. Ana Gomez Aleman (K-State), 7-5, 7-5
5. Krisztina Kapitany (Purdue) def. Amina St. Hill (K-State), 6-1, 6-4
6. Carmen Borau Ramos (K-State) vs. Gisella Pere (Purdue), DNF