March 10, 2013
NORMAN, Okla. – No. 36 Kansas State recorded three singles wins from its singles lineup on Sunday afternoon, but No. 40 Oklahoma used the momentum from a hard-fought doubles point win to defeat K-State, 4-3, at the Wadley Indoor Tennis Pavilion. K-State is 4-6 on the season and 0-2 in Big 12 action.
Oklahoma (8-3, 2-0) captured the doubles point with a pair of hard-fought 9-7 wins at number one and two doubles. In singles play, the Sooners tallied straight set wins at the number two, four and six positions in the lineup after K-State had tied the match at one apiece. The win at number two singles by the Sooners secured the win.
At the top position in the K-State singles lineup, No. 17 ranked Petra Niedermayerova tied the match at 1 by defeating No. 105 Hermon Brhane, 6-2, 6-2. Niedermayerova improved her record this season to 23-6 including a 9-1 mark this spring. Niedermayerova needs two wins to set a new career-high for singles wins in a season. The junior from Brno, Czech Republic is 17-5 in her career in Big 12 matches and is 22-17 in career matches against ITA ranked opponents.
For her career, Niedermayerova owns a 71-29 (.710) record and needs six singles wins to move into a three-way tie for second with Petra Sedlmajerova (1999-03; 77-47) and Jessica Simosa (2001-06; 77-61). She needs eight wins to move into a tie for first with Maria Rosenberg (2000-05; 79-54).
Sophomore Amina St. Hill ended a three-match skid with a 6-0, 6-2 win at number five singles against Zita Engbroks. The win was St. Hill’s first at the number five spot in the lineup this season and improved her record this season to 10-10.
Freshman Ivana Kubickova ended the day with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Mia Lancaster at number three singles. The product of Brno, Czech Republic, notched her first career Big 12 win and improved her debut K-State record to 17-11 this season, including a 5-5 mark this spring.
K-State will venture into non-conference action for the final time this season to face Cal Poly on March 17 and No. 67 Fresno State on March 18 in Fresno, Calif.
(36) Kansas State (4-6, 0-2 Big 12) at (40) Oklahoma (8-3, 2-0 Big 12)
March 10, 2013
Norman, Okla. | Wadley Indoor Tennis Pavilion
(40) Oklahoma 4, (36) Kansas State 3
1. (49) Hermon Brhane/Whitney Ritchie (OU) def. (31) Petra Niedermayerova/Karla Bonacic (K-State), 9-7
2. Zita Engbroks/Whitney Wofford (OU) def. Ivana Kubickova/Amina St. Hill (K-State), 9-7
3. Mia Lancaster/Emma Devine (OU) def. Ana Gomez Aleman/Carmen Borau Ramos (K-State), 8-3
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
1. (17) Petra Niedermayerova (K-State) def. (105) Hermon Brhane (OU), 6-2, 6-2
2. Whitney Ritchie (OU) def. (94) Karla Bonacic (K-State, 6-3, 6-4
3. Ivana Kubickova (K-State) def. Mia Lancaster (OU), 6-3, 6-2
4. Whitney Wofford (OU) def. Ana Gomez Aleman (K-State), 6-2, 6-1
5. Amina St. Hill (K-State) def. Zita Engbroks (OU), 6-0, 6-2
6. Emma Devine (OU) def. Carmen Borau Ramos (K-State), 6-4, 6-1
Order of Finish: 1, 6, 4, 2*, 5, 3