March 28, 2014
MANHATTAN, Kan. - No. 61 Kansas State officially opened Mike Goss Tennis Stadium on Friday, as the Wildcats hosted No. 18 Oklahoma in the inaugural dual match at the new facility. The Sooners spoiled the debut of the facility, defeating the Wildcats, 6-1.
K-State is now 8-7 this season and 2-1 in Big 12 action. Oklahoma improves to 12-3 overall and 2-1 in the league. OU now leads the series between the schools, 26-13, including a 10-5 record in matches played in Manhattan or Wamego.
The Sooners jumped out to an early 1-0 lead, winning the doubles point with wins at all three positions. This was the first time K-State has lost all three doubles matches this season.
Oklahoma's dominance continued into singles play, as the Sooners won straight set matches at the number two, three and four positions to capture the match. The win at number four singles was the deciding point.
K-State lone win on Friday came from junior Amina St. Hill. The product of Gothenburg, Sweden, defeated Emma Devine at number five singles, 6-3, 6-1. The win by St. Hill reset her career-high for a season and improved her record to 14-9 this season, including a 3-0 mark in Big 12 action. For her career, St. Hill is 34-37 including a 9-11 mark in league play.
K-State will close out the weekend by hosting No. 23 Oklahoma State on Sunday at 1 p.m., at Mike Goss Tennis Stadium - weather permitting. Due to forecasted high winds in the Manhattan area on Sunday, a decision on where the match will played on Sunday morning. An update will be posted on the official Twitter account of K-State Athletics (@kstatesports).
(18) Oklahoma (12-3, 2-1 Big 12) at (61) Kansas State (8-7, 2-1 Big 12)
March 28, 2014 | Manhattan, Kan. | Mike Goss Tennis Stadium
(18) Oklahoma 6, (61) Kansas State 1
1. (64) Mia Lancaster/Whitney Ritchie (OU) def. Petra Niedermayerova/Amina St. Hill (K-State), 8-7 (6-2)
2. Emma Devine/Morgan Chumney (OU) def. Palma Juhasz/Iva Bago (K-State), 8-7 (6-1)
3. Hermon Brhane/Zita Engbroks (OU) def. Livia Cirnu/Maria Panaite (K-State), 8-0
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
1. (116) Whitney Ritchie (OU) def. (56) Petra Niedermayerova (K-State), 3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-8)
2. Hermon Brhane (OU) def. Palma Juhasz (K-State), 6-3, 6-4
3. Morgan Chumney (OU) def. Maria Panaite (K-State), 6-0, 6-1
4. Mia Lancaster (OU) def. Livia Cirnu (K-State), 6-4, 6-0
5. Amina St. Hill (K-State) def. Emma Devine (OU), 6-3, 6-1
6. Abbi Melrose (OU) def. Iva Bago (K-State), 6-3, 6-2
Order of finish: 3, 2, 4*, 5, 6, 1