April 5, 2013
FORT WORTH, Texas – No. 48 Kansas State entered the first of its final two matches of its 12-match road trip with a three-match winning streak, but the Wildcats’ streak was snapped by No. 35 TCU on Friday, 5-2, at the Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center. K-State falls to 7-7 this season and 1-3 in Big 12 action, while the Horned Frogs improve to 15-2 overall and 4-0 in the league.
Kansas State started the afternoon strong, winning the doubles point for the fifth time this season. K-State received wins from its number one and two doubles teams, with the win at number one doubles clinching the point for the Wildcats. This is the first time this season K-State has lost when winning the doubles point.
The number two doubles team of Ivana Kubickova and Amina St. Hill dispatched of Federica Denti and Kelsey Sundaram, 8-4. Kubickova and St. Hill run their record together to 3-5 this season and 1-2 in Big 12 action. For the season, Kubickova owns a 16-15 doubles record.
At number one doubles, the No. 37 ITA-ranked tandem of Petra Niedermayerova and Karla Bonacic rallied to defeat TCU’s top team of Olivia Smith and Stefanie Tan, 9-7. Niedermayerova and Bonacic are 16-9 this season and 3-1 in Big 12 matches. The duo has won four straight doubles matches.
Over the last three seasons, Niedermayerova and Bonacic are 29-25 when paired together. Bonacic improves to 55-57 in her career in doubles play, while Niedermayerova is 54-39.
TCU followed the defeat in doubles with five straight singles victories to seal the win. The Horned Frogs closed out the Wildcats with a win at number four singles.
Bonacic tallied the lone K-State singles win on Friday, a hard-fought three-set win over No. 75 Smith at number two singles, 6-7, 6-3, 7-6. The win was Bonacic’s second win this season over a ranked opponent and improves her record against ITA ranked foes to 6-12.
Bonacic boosts her career record to 54-18 in dual match action, including a 31-11 mark from the No. 2 position in the lineup. Dating back to the final three matches of 2010, Bonacic has won 45 of her last 56 dual matches.
For her career, Bonacic is fifth in school history for career singles wins with a mark of 69-40 (.633). She is now 23-7 in her career, including a 10-1 mark in Big 12 matches, in three-set matches.
K-State will conclude its 12-match road on Sunday, as the Wildcats will travel to Waco, Texas to face No. 42 Baylor. Sunday’s match at the Hurd Tennis Center begins at 12 p.m.
(48) Kansas State (7-7, 1-3 Big 12) at (35) TCU (15-2, 4-0 Big 12)
April 5, 2013
Fort Worth, Texas | Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center
(35) TCU 5, (48) Kansas State 2
1. (37) Petra Niedermayerova/Karla Bonacic (K-State) def. Olivia Smith/Stefanie Tan (TCU), 9-7
2. Ivana Kubickova/Amina St. Hill (K-State) def. Federica Denti/Kelsey Sundaram (TCU), 8-4
3. Gabi Barbosa/Monika Sirilova (TCU) def. Carmen Borau Ramos/Ana Gomez Aleman (K-State), 8-6
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
1. (71) Stefanie Tan (TCU) def. (11) Petra Niedermayerova (K-State), 6-4, 3-6, 6-2
2. Karla Bonacic (K-State) def. (75) Olivia Smith (TCU), 6-7, 6-3, 7-6
3. Simona Parajova (TCU) def. Ivana Kubickova (K-State), 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
4. Federica Denti (TCU) def. Amina St. Hill (K-State), 6-2, 6-3
5. Monika Sirilova (TCU) def. Carmen Borau Ramos (K-State), 6-2, 6-4
6. Kelsey Sundaram (TCU) def. Ana Gomez Aleman (K-State), 7-5, 6-2
Order of Finish: 6, 5, 3, 4*, 1, 2
*- match decided