April 6, 2014
MANHATTAN, Kan. – K-State senior Petra Niedermayerova registered her best win of the 2014 spring season in singles action, but the No. 69 Wildcats were unable to pull off the upset as No. 16 Baylor secured a 5-1 win on Sunday at Body First Tennis and Fitness Center.
Sunday’s match was moved indoors due to wet court conditions following some brief early morning rain showers. The singles matches were played first to accommodate Baylor’s travel schedule.
Niedermayerova pushed K-State into an early 1-0 lead with a straight set win at number one singles. Niedermayerova, ranked No. 56 in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) national singles rankings, upset No. 34 Kiah Generette at number one singles, 6-1, 6-2. This was Niedermayerova’s highest win over an ITA ranked opponent since downing No. 5 Annet Schutting of California on Nov. 10, 2013. In her career, Niedermayerova owns a record of 33-24 against ITA ranked opponents.
Niedermayerova, has now won 16 of her last 20 singles matches. She owns a 22-7 overall record this season, including a 13-3 mark in dual match play this spring and a 4-2 mark in Big 12 action.
Niedermayerova, a two-time ITA All-American and three-time All-Big 12 singles selection, improved her school record for career singles wins to 102-40 (.718). Her career singles winning percentage of .718 ranks second in program history. Sunday’s win improved her career home record to 23-9 with her final home match coming up on April 19 against Kansas.
The Lady Bears (17-6, 6-0 Big 12) captured the match with straight set wins at numbers two, three, four and six singles.
K-State will travel to the Lone Star State next weekend, as the Wildcats will face No. 56 TCU on Friday, April 11 at 2 p.m., in Fort Worth and No. 32 Texas Tech on Sunday, April 13 at 12 p.m. The Wildcats will close out the 2014 spring regular season on Saturday, April 19, as K-State hosts Sunflower State rival Kansas at 12 p.m., at Mike Goss Tennis Stadium.
(16) Baylor (17-6, 6-0 Big 12) at (69) Kansas State (8-10, 2-4 Big 12)
April 6, 2014 | Manhattan, Kan. | Body First Tennis and Fitness Center
(16) Baylor 5, (69) Kansas State 1
1. (56) Petra Niedermayerova (K-State) def. (34) Kiah Generette (Baylor), 6-1, 6-2
2. (74) Ema Burgic (Baylor) def. Palma Juhasz (K-State), 6-3, 6-1
3. (48) Jordaan Sanford (Baylor) def. Maria Panaite (K-State), 6-1, 6-1
4. (103) Blair Shankle (Baylor) def. Amina St. Hill (K-State), 6-2, 6-1
5. Alex Clay (Baylor) def. Livia Cirnu (K-State), 7-6 (4), 6-3
6. Alex Leatu (Baylor) def. Iva Bago (K-State), 6-3, 6-1
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2, 4, 6*, 5
1. Petra Niedermayerova/Amina St. Hill (K-State) vs. Victoria Kisialeva/Alex Leatu (Baylor), 6-5 unfinished
2. Palma Juhasz/Iva Bago (K-State) vs. Makenzie Craft/Kiah Generette (Baylor), 5-6 unfinished
3. Alex Clay/Blair Shankle (Baylor) def. Livia Cirnu/Maria Panaite (K-State), 8-5
Order of finish: 3