April 13, 2013
WAMEGO, Kan. – No. 50 Kansas State looked to close out its weekend with an upset win on Saturday, but No. 29 Texas held back the Wildcats with a 6-1 decision at the Wamego Recreation Complex. K-State falls to 7-10 this season and 1-6 in Big 12 action, while the Longhorns improve to 13-9 and 6-1.
Texas secured the early 1-0 advantage by sweeping through doubles play. K-State is 2-10 this season when dropping the doubles point. K-State’s number one doubles team of No. 30 ITA ranked Karla Bonacic and Petra Niedermayerova had their six-match winning streak halted on Saturday by No. 14 Breaunna Addison and Noel Scott, 8-4. The loss, which was their first since March 10 at Oklahoma, drops the duo to 18-10 this season and 5-2 in Big 12 action.
In singles play, K-State’s lone victory came at the end of the day as senior Ana Gomez Aleman held back Annat Rabinovich at number six singles, 6-3, 2-6, 7-6 (5). Gomez Aleman registered her fifth win in the last seven matches, including her third in a three-set match. For the season, the product of Murcia, Spain, is 11-17 including a 3-4 mark in Big 12 matches. She improved her career record in three set matches to 16-15 overall and 8-2 in Big 12 play.
K-State will conclude its four-match home stand next weekend, as the Wildcats will host Iowa State on Friday, April 19 at 1 p.m., and West Virginia on Sunday at 11 a.m. Sunday’s match against the Mountaineers will mark Senior Day for the Wildcats, as K-State recognizes the achievements of its senior class Carmen Borau Ramos, Bonacic and Gomez Aleman.
The matches are scheduled to be played outdoors at the Wamego Recreation Complex in Wamego, Kan., and are free and open to the public.
(29) Texas (13-9, 6-1 Big 12) at (50) Kansas State (7-10, 1-6 Big 12)
April 13, 2013
Wamego, Kan. | Wamego Recreation Complex
(29) Texas 6, (50) Kansas State 1
1. (14) Breaunna Addison/Noel Scott (UT) def. (30) Petra Niedermayerova/Karla Bonacic (K-State), 8-4
2. Elizabeth Begley/Aeriel Ellis (UT) def. Ivana Kubickova/Amina St. Hill (K-State), 8-5
3. Annat Rabinovich/ Lana Groenvyck (UT) def. Ana Gomez Aleman/Carmen Borau Ramos (K-State), 8-4
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1. (60) Breaunna Addison (UT) def. (12) Petra Niedermayerova (K-State), 6-2, 6-2
2. (38) Aeriel Ellis (UT) def Karla Bonacic (K-State), 6-1, ret. (injury)
3. Elizabeth Begley (UT) def. Ivana Kubickova (K-State), 6-3, 6-0
4. Noel Scott (UT) def. Amina St. Hill (K-State), 6-3, 6-1
5. Lana Groenvyck (UT) def. Carmen Borau Ramos (K-State), 6-4, 6-2
6. Ana Gomez Aleman (K-State) def. Annat Rabinovich (UT), 6-3, 2-6, 7-6 (5)
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1*, 4, 5, 6
*- match decided