April 27, 2012
COLLEGE STATION, Texas – With its highest seed in nine seasons, No. 67 Kansas State looked to advance to the semifinals of the Big 12 Championships for the first time since the 2000 campaign. However, No. 19 and host Texas A&M held off the Wildcats with a 4-0 decision at the George P. Mitchell Tennis Center on Friday.
The Wildcats finish their season with an 8-14 record and a sixth place finish in the Big 12 this season. The Aggies improve to 17-4 overall and advance to the semifinals and will face the winner of the Baylor/Oklahoma match.
The Aggies captured the opening point of the afternoon by winning the doubles point with a 2-1 decision over the Wildcats. K-State secured an 8-4 win at number three doubles to even the match at one apiece, as senior Petra Chuda and junior Carmen Borau Ramos came back to defeat Janelle Cuthbertson and Nazari Urbina. Chuda and Borau Ramos are now 6-8 this season and have won five straight matches from the number three position in the lineup.
Texas A&M boosted its lead to 3-0 with straight set wins at number four and one singles. The Aggies needed to survive a three-set match at number five singles to secure the victory.
Kansas State will possibly have one student-athlete reach the postseason, as sophomore Petra Niedermayerova is in line for her second straight appearance in the NCAA Division I Singles Championship. Niedermayerova, ranked No. 27 in this week’s Campbell/ITA national singles rankings, is 22-12 this season and is tied for 10th in school history for singles wins in a season. For her career, the sophomore from Brno, Czech Republic owns a 47-22 overall record including a 6-3 ledger in the Big 12 this season.
The selections for the 2012 NCAA Division I Singles Championships in Athens, Ga., will be announced Wednesday, May 2 at ncaa.com. The 2012 NCAA Division I Singles Championships will be contested May 25-28.
(67) Kansas State (8-14, 4-5 Big 12) vs. (19) Texas A&M (17-4, 7-2 Big 12)
April 27, 2012 – 2012 Big 12 Championship Quarterfinals
College Station, Texas — George P. Mitchell Tennis Center
(19) Texas A&M 4, (67) Kansas State 0
1. (38) Cristina Sanchez-Quintanar/Wen Sun (TAM) def. (68) Petra Niedermayerova/Karla Bonacic (KSU), 8-3
2. Sheri Olivier/Lauren Santacroce (TAM) def. Marketa Trousilova/Carli Wischhoff (KSU), 8-5
3. Petra Chuda/Carmen Borau Ramos (KSU) def. Janelle Cuthbertson/Nazari Urbina (TAM), 8-4
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1. (8) Cristina Sanchez-Quintanar (TAM) def. (27) Petra Niedermayerova (KSU), 6-3, 7-5
2. (100) Karla Bonacic (KSU) vs. (61) Nazari Urbina (TAM), 7-6, 3-4 dnf
3. Ana Gomez Aleman (KSU) vs. (81) Wen Sun (TAM), 7-6, 3-4 dnf
4. Lauren Santacroce (TAM) def. Carli Wischhoff (KSU) (KSU), 6-1, 6-1
5. Janelle Cuthbertson (TAM) def. Carmen Borau Ramos (KSU), 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
6. Sheri Olivier (TAM) vs. Marketa Trousilova (KSU), 7-5, 2-6, 1-0 dnf
Order of Finish: 4, 1, 5*
*- match decided