Through its first 19 seasons of athletic competition, Kansas State had used "Aggies" as its nickname. But prior to the 1915 season, new coach John "Chief" Bender gave his squad the nickname "Wildcats." The moniker lasted the one season Bender coached at K-State. Under Coach Z.G. Clevenger in 1917, the school team became known as the "Farmers." In 1920 Coach Charles Bachman, took over the program, renaming the team "Wildcats." This time, the nickname stuck.